Thursday 8 September 2011

Ramblings on...tomorrow for me

I lost my second classmate from high school days this year.
Signs of inevitability. We will all leave this temporary shell which was loaned to us. All we can do is prepare to accept that day of which we know not when.

From MIO, I met Nizam a number of times. I was about to bring him in when his wife had difficulties. I wonder whether the soon-to-be mother and the new life she is carrying are well. Then, early this morning, Johangir called. Unfortunately, he is where I am not. Memories of my incarceration. ..

From Islamabad days, all I have is Khai. Usually, I will bump into him at least every other day. We had breakfast often times. Occassionally Meor, TDC Soho, and Fauzi would call. Meor is very consistent. Once he reaches terra firma he will send word from wherever he is.

From HSM, I met 3 of my school mates in the spate of one month...I wonder where my favourite teacher is at this moment. The last time I talked to her was from behind bars...

Joe, you are always close to me. I hope my weekly pictorial reports did not bore you. Consider my offer of growing old together.

Will you and I be continuing with this medium when we reach 60? 70? 80? The internet is where we gather information, exchange news, interact...but without ever having to run out of saliva or empty our pocket for a coffee which costs 10 times more than what mamak stores can offer. No fear of traffic jams either.

I don't know. In a way I do see myself sitting in front of the pc tapping away slowly (due to rheumatism) whilst groping for the keys (cataract). Perhaps by then, I can afford to buy the technology where all I need do is think of the sentences and think of "pressing" the send button. Steven Hawkings does have something close to that.

Seriously now! Can you see yourself sitting in front of the pc in 10 years? Fred, will you be staring at both screens then or would the kids be doing it for you? LF88 will you still send them to me or your grandson? Joe, will you be in Seremban looking for wi-fi to try and connect?

Me? I hunger for news of friends and families from far flung locations and those just a stone's throw away. We will be sharing stories of our kids and grandchildren. Perhaps some will be lucky enough to be able to declare himself a great grandfather.

One thing is for sure. I don't think I will be using the berry or things similar. Probably I will have a 32 inch touch screen monitor with voice recognition software to stay in touch with you out there. Don't forget, my hearing aid will always be low on battery...the only reason why I won't call you. Anyway, I am hopeless at small talk when engaged in an oral discourse.

Picture this. A decrepid 80 year old man wheeling around in a motorised wheelchair wired to the hilt (pc connections, drips...), wearing a HUD (heads-up-display, sporting an Armani long sleeve shirt, a Pakistani sarong, and Oberman slippers... apparently having a conversation with himself. It could be me...the terror of the hospital ward.

What a sight for sore eyes! Beat that Fred!
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device via Vodafone-Celcom Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment