Tuesday 13 September 2011

(Brief) Ramblings on...Three Minute Briyanis

     The first time I heard of  Ibrahim's  vacuum packed beriyani dishes was after boarding Bus No 137 in Clapham Common heading towards Thornbury Avenue.

     This Malaysian family who has been living in a one bedroomed ground floor flat comprising of  husband (working as a postman in Greater London), full time housewife and only son was selling Ibrahim's Beriyani from home. How much? Was it a fiver?

     Back then, there was only one way of enjoying this "authentic" beriyani - dunk the whole aluminum packaging into boiling water for 3 minutes. Thirty years later, 30 seconds in a microwave oven will do.

     All I remember now is that they tasted much better than the beriyani's that the Pakistani or Indian Restaurants were dishing out in the big cities of Europe in them days.

     I can assure you also that it is better than the weekly beriyanis' which my male chef dishes out in Islamabad.

    But it can never beat my own concoction nor that of my mom's own secret recipe made with TLC...

Sent by Maxis from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment