Friday 22 July 2011

Ramblings on...highway to nowhere

Eons ago, sometime in 1992, I decided to "beach comb" from Penang all the way down to Klang in Selagor.

It was late at night

I was on this beautiful, straight, fairly busy 2 lane road - somewhere in the state of Perak. The sign board states Klang as the final destination with a few familiar turnoffs along the way - Kuala Selangor, Tanjung Malim...

Perhaps I did not notice the last turn off but I was on a raised platform finished with "crusher run". Thinking nothing of it, I followed in the dark this highway to "nowhere". Occassionaly, I would pass a car or two going in the opposite direction.

Once in a while, I had reassurance that there were human beings...small clumps of lights from 2 or 3 houses. The distinct smell of breckish water from the mangrove swamp provided further assurance that the "sea" was nearby.

Two hours on, the crunching sound from millions of crushed stones gave way to a consistent droning sound - "tarred road".  A bridge spanning 300 meters or so was a welcome relief. Midway, a carpet of the familiar yellow glow from sodium lamps and the ghostly fluorescent lights presents absolute proof that my "ordeal" was finally over.

Where was I? Teluk Ansun! Nay Teluk intan...

Either I missed the signboards saying "Construction in Progress" or there were none.

The next was a need to commute. From UEP Subang Jaya to KLIA! What is it now "Elite"? For six months I went in from a Quarry site near USJ 10 (not far from the junction to Proton) and all the way to "Bunga Raya Complex". Crusher run with quarry dust...some stretches only sand base.

There were sectional completion phases, I assumed. At one stage the entry point from KLIA (or exit point from Subang) was a furniture factory near the current Dengkil R&R stop.

That was in 1998.

Today, I got caught - AGAIN! Near home town at that!. Shameful really.

With family on tow, I headed for Desaru. JB to Ulu Tiram then Kota Tinggi before Desaru. But before Ulu Tiram - in huge bold letters on green background - was a sign board proclaiming loudly Senai-Desaru Expressway! Of course I was blind! I did read Pasir Gudang, Tanjung Langsat! But Desaru?

It was a welcomed respite. I would miss the huge RMK9 roadworks at Ulu Tiram, the JKR road widening to Kota Tinggi...I shot off at 180 all the way. No cars or motor cycles...

15 minutes was all I had of blissful driving. I saw the sign board, R&R! Must stop. Kids wanted lunch. It was unoccupied. Shell and BP. Relief!

5km further down, a sign board "Pasir Gudang and Masai". Where was Desaru?

Concrete dividers reduced the two lane to one. A "clover leaf" junction loomed ahead. Still no Desaru. The road ahead was blocked. The concrete dividers conveniently herded me into the clover leaf.

At the toll, after paying 20 sen short of the green plastic paper we call money, I blew my top. Not really! But I was disappointed when the "juru toll" (toll collector) proposes two solutions "Pasir Gudang" or make a u-turn for Desaru.

Disgusted, I made a u-turn. I exited and joined the crawling traffic. The snarling traffic allowed me the opportunity to look closely at all the sign boards - on the opposite lane. I saw the same misleading sign board "Senai - Desaru Expressway". But further down on yellow "JKR" signboard it offered the following (partially covered) "Desaru", below it was "Pasir Gudang" and bottom most "Masai".

Lessons? Get Lasik! Or do I have to change my RAM or get a new quad core processor...to replace my obsolete brain

No comments:

Post a Comment